Bill, the son of the late Leonard Parks Culp and Caroline Smith Culp, was born in Rock Hill on Feb. 27, 1920. He attended Winthrop Training School and Presbyterian College. He served with the 76th Station Complement, of the 486th Heavy Bombardment Group as the Base Defense Officer. He flew one combat mission as an observer. He retired as a Lt. Col. in the U.S. Air Force Reserves. He served Winthrop University for 50 years, first as Physical Plant Director and later as Assistant Vice-President for Campus Renovations and Special Projects. The Culp Chiller Plant at Winthrop was named for him in 1997.
He was a member of the Rotary Club of Rock Hill, and in 1984 he received the highest award a Rotarian can receive, the Paul Harris Fellow Award for Community achievement. He was also on the YMCA Board of Directors, a volunteer cooperative weather observer for the National Weather Service, a Boy Scout leader, and a Senior Elder at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church. As a member of the SC Football Officials Association, he traveled over the state for almost 50 years refereeing high school football games.
Composite Doors Composite Front Doors